Lighthouses are an invaluable part of America’s maritime heritage. The beginnings of the Chicago Harbor Lighthouse was constructed in 1893 for the World’s Columbian Exposition. The World’s Columbian Exposition was held in Chicago in 1893. The Lighthouse was located further north from its current location in 1893 then moved 1917 to its final spot at the mouth of the Chicago Harbor.
The Lighthouse was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on July 19, 1984, and a Chicago Landmark on April 9, 2001. In 2009, the City of Chicago took over ownership of the Lighthouse from the General Services Administration (GSA), facilitated by the 2000 National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act.